top of page
Young Doctor

American

Descendants

O

Slavery

ABOUTUS

In the fall of 2019, of the 373 students from Wisconsin beginning an allopathic (MD) medical school within the United States, only 7 students were Black. This is a 70% deficit based upon our demographic representation within the state of Wisconsin. Nationally, African Americans only make up 45% of the Black matriculating medical students. The remaining 55% identify as Blacks within the diaspora. Demographically, ADOS medical students are disproportionately under-represented. 

The Pipeline to Practice (P2P) program utilizes an asset-based community model. It is designed as a grassroots community collaborative. This means key stakeholders, including the scholars and their families, contribute towards each scholar’s success. P2P was started by Tito Izard, MD and Delicia Randle-Izard, MD. It is supported by Cream City Medical Society through funding from Advocate Aurora’s Better Together Fund. At the heart of the initiative is the belief that there are assets within the ADOS community and the community at large which support and empower aspiring ADOS physicians to thrive. 

P2P-ADOS Logo.png

A WORD FROM OUR SCHOLARS

TITO IZARD, MD

Tito Izard.jpg

President & CEO

Milwaukee Health Services inc.

Milwaukee native, Dr. Tito Izard, is consistently voted one of Milwaukee’s Best Family Physicians. He has 20 years of experience as an educator, instructor, and chief administrator of medical practices with emphasis on urban health issues, clinical practice redesign and reducing health disparities.  Dr. Izard matriculated to the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, receiving his medical degree in 1996. He completed his Family Medicine in Milwaukee with St. Luke’s hospital’s (now Advocate Aurora) Central City Site residency program. He currently serves on the medical school’s Alumni Board of Directors and the WI DHS Health Equity Council.

 

He currently is the President & CEO for Milwaukee Health Services, Inc., an independent not-for-profit Federally Qualified Health Center. Dr. Izard has recruited more physicians and underrepresented ethnic minority practitioners than any other healthcare practice in Wisconsin allowing the organization to become the most diverse provider group practice in the state. His model for recruitment and retention of providers dedicated to working with Health, Education and Economically Disenfranchised (HEED) populations has received national recognition.  He was appointed by the US Secretary of Health and Human Services during the Obama administration to serve as the chairman for the National Advisory Council for the National Health Service Corp.  

Along with his wife, Dr. Delicia Randle-Izard, the two have co-founded a statewide African American legacy mentoring program, Pipeline to Practice, to increase the number of American Descendants of Slavery as future physicians. Through his medical practice and work across the nation in health disparities and representation the dire need for ADOS physicians became evident. Pipeline to Practice was born out of this need. 

Our Funding Partner

MHCP Logo_edited.png

OUR FOUNDERS

bottom of page